Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 13 & 14

I have been having a fair amount of trouble with my most recent task. Lighthouse task #123 which is to alter the manner in which FitNesse updates itself when it is first run in a new environment. There is a list of files that need to be copied over into the FitNesseRoot every time an update is done. Currently this list of files is in the updater code itself, but my task is to move that list of files. I need to create an ant task in the build.xml file that will call a java program which searches through the FitNesseRoot and finds all the files that need to be copied over in an update. This program must then create a new file with the names of all those files which need to be copied over, and a file of the files which shouldn't be copied, and then put those into the .jar file that is created when the ant build is performed. Then, once FitNesse is started for the first time, the updater must reach into the .jar file and pull out the updateFileList, read the list, and grab all the needed files and place them into the FitNesseRoot.
I have had to learn a lot about ant. How to create a new ant task. How to have that ant task called. How to have that ant task call a java program which creates a file. Currently I am trying to figure out how to pull the needed files out of the .jar file. Micah told me a command jar-x < fitnesse.jar which would pull out all the files in the jar, and then I could search through those to find what I need, but I believe FitNesse already has a way to extract the files I need. I just need to find this method.
I have also been given the new task Lighthouse #127, which is to create a way to delete the test history for a page up to a certain given date. This should be a fairly simple matter... but then again Murphey will probably strike me down for being so foolish as to think a task could be completed in any reasonable amount of time. I believe I will need to either add a new responder all together called the PurgeTestHistoryResponder, or add a feature to the current TestHistoryResponder which looks for a delete command and an input date. The task says to create 3 buttons, Purge >30 Days, Purge >7 Days, Purge all, all which would invoke the responder with a date.

I have also put some more work into my ultimate task for this summer. I believe I am going to create a LimeLight player for each of the WikiWidgets, so that when I recieve the JSON object from FitNesse, I can render the data into my own data structure of Players. This in theory could then be placed directly on the screen without too much extra effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment